When speaking to a business owner about what a business coach is, its often hard to explain in only a few words. When someone says Business Coach – some people immediately start running for the hills. And the reason behind this is years of coaching experience that are ripping people off.
Some business owners may not realise they need a coach while other are out there desperately looking for someone to motivate and guide them – and I have seen both sides.
Everyone has challenges in business. Your challenge however may not be the same as the next person. Finding the right person to help you with your challenges is an important part of the process of finding the right business coach.
Here are some of the things you can look out for when speaking to someone about coaching you:
- If a business coach has no experience with other businesses, then they may not be the right person for you. Its always important to speak to the person who is about to embark on a journey with you about how they have helped other businesses. It also helps if the business coach has case studies on their website that you can look at to see how they have helped other businesses. And whether they can help yours based on that information.
- Before investing in a business coach, go through your business plan with them. Meet for a session where you can explain your businesses and your personal vision for the future. Share your goals and dreams and let the coach explain how they can help you achieve those goals. If you see that they can join you on this incredible journey by giving you the support you need, then invest in a program with them. Good coaches are hard to come by so if you click with one, don't let them go.
- Understand what the business coach has to offer. Before jumping into a contract with your business coach, understand what you are signing up for. Some coaches have just the one on one program where they will meet you once a week or fortnight, charge you by the hour or per session, and provide you support. Other coaches are part of a Business or Franchise and are supported by a bigger team. They may have different programs that suit your needs and you can choose the one that gives you the most benefit.
- If the business coach you are speaking to is a motivational or key note speaker, go to one of their events. Learn more about who you are signing up with and see if they are the right person for you and have the information and knowledge you need to grow your business.
- Ensure you build a strong relationship from the start. You are about to trust someone with your business, your income and your life. It is important that you trust this person and respect their beliefs and processes.
For someone who is starting out or is a struggling SME, making a big investment with a coach is a big deal. And we get that. It is important that you build trust with us first and meet with our team to see if there is a way we can help you. For that reason, we offer strategy sessions to go through our plan to help you succeed.
If you are interested in chatting to me about how I can help you, use my calendar link and book in a call at a time that suits you. Click here.
About the Author
Ben Fewtrell is a sought-after Business Coach, Keynote Speaker and trainer who has featured in Virgin's Inflight Magazine and Entertainment Portal, SKY Business and “Secrets of Top Business Builders Exposed”. He is also the host of the popular Business Brain Food Podcast where he interviews leading experts on anything and everything business.